Small things to make you smile
This week is #mentalhealthawarenessweek which is particularly pertinent now. When you are struggling with poor mental health it’s so important to have small things to make you smile. I have found this to be a great comfort during isolation, so here are some of my suggestions.
What small things can you do to make you smile?
- Buy yourself flowers – I did this the other week and it really brightened my day. They were beautiful and made me happy every time I looked at them in my house.
- Bake – During lockdown I have really been enjoying baking different things. It is a great thing to focus on and boosts your confidence seeing the finished product. Even if you can’t bake then grab some ready-made cakes and decorate them with bright icing.
- Go for a run/walk – Running has been my saviour during lockdown. Whenever I have been having a down day I put my trainers on and went out. The endorphins and fresh air immediately made me feel better. So whatever workout it is, exercise benefits your mental health and is proven to lower your body’s stress hormones.
- Send card/present to someone in the post – This time has been hard for missing people we love. I have sent cards/gifts for birthdays and just to say I miss them. The anticipation of it arriving and their reaction always puts a smile on my face.
- Cuddle pet/cuddly toy – A hug can always make us feel better so grab your pet for a snuggle and if you don’t have one cuddle your favourite soft toy.
- Watch one of your favourite series/films – Put on that one film/series that you really enjoy watching, get some snacks and snuggle on the sofa with your favourite characters.
- Make yourself a cup of tea/coffee- Sit down and take some time enjoying this cuppa with no distractions and maybe with a slice of cake you have just made.
- Read a magazine/book – Turn off those notifications and take an hour to enjoy a chapter from a book or a flick through a magazine.
- Play a game/do a puzzle – These are great for distracting your mind and that achievement when you finally complete the puzzle will definitely put a smile on your face!
- Sing along to your favourite song – Select the song, turn up the volume, sing along and dance around your room to let all that stress out.
If you have any other suggestions tweet us @42ndStreetmcr and @TheHorsfall. #smallthingsyoucandotomakeyousmile