Planning for Pride
August 2019 – Author: L. Young
Pride is fast approaching which is really exciting but if you suffer with anxiety then it could all start to feel a bit overwhelming. However there are lots of ways to enjoy the day and keep feelings of stress or anxiety at bay. Here are ten tips to help you manage Pride:
- Research the route before the event: A couple of days before Pride take your time to look around the area and see what places are nearby. If you’re feeling confident go into a few businesses and ask them if they will be open on the weekend and how many people they expect to attend. Once you know this information you can work out which place you can escape to if you need to.
- Make sure you get enough sleep the night before: Everything is easier to handle when you’ve had a good night’s sleep. You will enjoy the day more and be able to deal with your anxiety better.
- Bring your besties with you: Having someone there by your side makes a massive difference. Be honest with them about how you are feeling so they can understand how you might feel and react on the day. If you’re scared of getting separated make sure you have a meeting point in mind. You can use the app ‘what3words’ to get a REALLY specific meeting point.
- Ensure you are in the right state of mind: We are not saying don’t have fun at Pride but make sure your mind is clear and you’re aware of what you are doing. It will only make it harder for you to find your way through the crowd or get home.
- Leave early: By leaving before everyone else you can beat the crowds and relax and reminisce on the journey home.
- Pack lots of self-care items: Make sure you have all the essentials you will need the night before. Pack water, sun cream (if it is hot), your favourite snacks and extra money just in case you need it. Bonus: everyone will want to be friends with the person who has all the snacks!
- Tune out: It is okay if you need to take some time out and go to a quieter street, put those headphones on and zone out while listening to your favourite songs. Once you’re chilled out, you can go back and enjoy the rest of Pride.
- Shift your focus: If you find yourself getting anxious, distract yourself with something to do. Like taking photos for example… We even have a photo competition running at the min. So your break could even win you some big prizes. Focus on seeing if you can find the best float/outfit until you feel calmer.
- Leave when you need to: If you’re feeling anxious, it can be horrible to experience this in a big crowd. You don’t need to prove anything to anyone and it is a brave decision to leave the situation if you feel that you need to.
- If you are planning to go to the after party make sure you take a break after the parade: Sometimes when you’re having such a good day, you can get carried away but being tired can catch up with you and it can affect your anxiety. Whether it’s going out for a meal, taking a nap or even taking a shower, you will really benefit from it.
But the most important thing is to enjoy yourself and all the amazing Pride celebrations! #LoveisLove