Understanding Self Harm – Karina Nyananyo
1st April, 2020 at 9:30 am
- Have an understanding of what self-harm is.
- Be able to identify why young people self-harm and the function that self-harm plays in their lives.
- Be able to dispel some of the commonly held beliefs about self-harm.
- Explore ‘best practice’ when working with people who self-harm.
- Understand how to support a young person who self-harms and support young people on building up their own strength and resilience.
- Enhance their skills, knowledge and confidence in communicating effectively with young people with mental health issues and to be able to identify and respond to risk factors and refer to other services where appropriate.
- What is self-harm – Defining and naming it.
- Theory around Why do young people self-harm.
- Up-to-date statistics re self-harm.
- Exploring commonly held beliefs about self-harm.
- Discussing what support young people need around self-harm.
- DVD about how to support someone who self-harms devised by young people from 42nd Street.
- Way forward and resources.
N.B. Please note that lunch is not provided for any of the training. Facilities to purchase food are nearby to the venue. There is no car park attached to the building, however, there are several public car parks in the area with a cost attached to them. Access to the building is only available after 9am.
Future Training Dates will be posted here as they are confirmed.